ink.

Saturday, January 21, 2017


okay.

I obvisouly love words and letters. letters to make words, and letters themselves. I am inspired by lettering, and the raw emotion and words that they bring up for me.

if i'm being honest, I will tell you that I found massive amounts of healing and growing and a place of walls crumbling through lettering.

I am a wall builder by nature. I like to tell myself that it's a defense mechanisim. I can build those suckers fast and they are sturdy.

they wreck my life.

and this is where LETTERING enters.

hand lettering has a way of breaking down those sturdy walls for me. words and letters open up a space, a little trap door, that I can jump through to escape being trapped and wrecked behind the walls.

as I discovered what I wanted to do with this new thing, I made the decision to teach. I wanted others to discover what I had in lettering. a creative release. a trap door.

SO. LETS TALK INK.

I never thought that I would love ink so much. (you never know, unless you try!)
I talked about the aqaush + ink a few posts back.
but what about the different kinds of ink?!

I used to say, all inks are in fact created equal.
I lied.
kind of.

in order form left to right:
speedball india ink, Higgins, Bombay black, Bombay white, Sumo Ink & ProArt India ink.
okay.
 I actually do love that giant bottle of Speedball India Ink.
it's black, and versatile, and cheap for the amount you get! it would probably last you a lifetime.

the Higgins Inda Ink isn't so bad either. it isn't the cheapest, but it's quality stuff. a good thickish thin ink that dries pretty fast!

Bombay India Ink is my go-to and most used.
I don't know why, I just like the consistency. it dries super fast (which I need!) and it lets me have lots of creative power. I can make my strokes really black, or light grey. it's a really pretty ink.  however in White, it seems a bit thin. maybe it's normal. I haven't experimented a whole lot with white ink.

Sumo Ink is intense stuff.
not quick drying, and I think it's actually meant to use with  a calligraphy nib. it's suuuuper black though, and thick, so makes a pretty burshy look. it's fun to play around with! (if I have the patience to let it dry...)

proart  india ink is AWFUL.
I don't even think it was that cheap either! SO thick. yuck.
boo.

India ink can be used with all sorts of synthetic or natural brushes. paint brushes, aquabrushes, calligraphy nibs, I even like to use my Sharpie Stained pens with them after they run out of ink ;)

So. there you have it.
my muse.
black ink.

who would've thought?

if you try any of these, be sure to tell me which ones you loved!
and add your favorites if you don't see them in the comments.
:)

happy lettering.

& remember...


you are loved.


couldn't help myself.


3 comments

  1. Thanks sharing with us your reviews of these inks. Will be stuper helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, how do you do grey strokes with the Bombay Black India ink? Do you use water at all? I've been using it with a small brush & I was wondering how to get it a lighter consistency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi abby!
      yes, if you're using a regular paint brush, try using something like a waterbottle cap and add some ink and then dip your paint brush into water, then into ink. you'll see how you can water it down and create an ombre effect! :)

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Courtney Casper Letters. Design by Fearne.